Pages

Friday, June 15, 2012

Eyewear Friday :||: Cat Eye Vintage Spectacles

Being in the optical industry, it's easy for me to spot various eyewear styles. I may not wear all types of styles myself, but I can appreciate the designs of eyewear out there! And, it's so easy for me to be distracted by it since it's what I do 8-10 hours a day, 5 days a week! My "natural" instinct is to look in the direction of cool eyewear and wonder what brand it is ... or .. try to name the model/style in my mind. Nerdy I know... shush!

While I was out last week, I spotted a small vintage eyewear shop called Cateye Vintage Spectacles on Heliotrope in Los Angeles. I just had to walk in. It's what I do. I like to browse the different styles and observe the type of clientele that those types of shops get. I also look at craftsmanship, age of the vintage pieces (plastic becomes brittle over time with exposure to elements - we usually advise NOT to re-use older frames for this reason, unless it's been well taken care of), and price. I'm always looking at what my "competition" is and what other fashion demands there are in the eyewear market.







I absolutely loved the displays that were set up. I would love to have something like that in my own store. I think the closest thing I have in my own shop that is "retro" or vintage-inspired are some Polo Ralph Lauren P3 shaped aviators. Very John Lennon if you ask me.




Anyone remember these styles? Well you should, 'cuz it's been out there... again! :) Loved the details of this very summery piece. Found this a version of the 70s style here.




I loved seeing ALL the different frames out! So many cool vintage pieces! And they are all brand new. Never used/worn. They've all been taken care of and only exposed for display purposes. I had to ask...




What's your eyewear style? Are you into vintage? Modern? Sophisticated? Nerdy/Geek Chic? Sexy? Simple? Retro? What are some of the things that you look for in a good pair of eye glasses or sunglasses?


10 Frame Styles for Your Lifestyle

Happy Friday and have an awesome weekend!

37 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes! You should always have good UV protection on :)

      Delete
  2. I always have a problem to choose sunglasses for me :D

    http://anna-and-klaudia.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always best to go to a good eye doctor or optical shop. One full of opticians that know how to help you choose the best fit/style. I try to help my patients do that. And I'll tell them if it doesn't look right :)

      Delete
  3. Wow this place looks awesome!!! I will have to go there sometime!
    :)
    Allison
    afashionfiles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's pretty cool if you're into vintage eye wear!

      Delete
  4. I want all of these! I don't have a specific style of sunglasses, I sadly don't have a big collection, but I hope to add more! :)

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know! With my being in the optical industry, it's hard to not buy elsewhere! Have to support my own office/shop!

      Delete
  5. Wow, I love the selection! I wish I was in that shop. The cat eye sunglasses are my favorite this season.

    - Shannon
    www.shannonsometimes.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. my eyeglasses (rarely wear them! :) are geeky nerdy, but i like simple ones...not sure if the cat eye sunglasses are my style yet...have yet to try them on. fab post! have a great weekend!

    xx heidi
    life full of loves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always tell my patients to at least try them on. They always look different on the shelf/display than on a face! :)

      Delete
  7. oooh love these! I really love huge over sized sunglasses or a cat eye shaped :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg, i love so much the vintage. great sunglasses, XOXO ELIS acqua92.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always a sucker for the aviator models, they just look so cool to me, and they go with practically everything!
    thanks for stopping by,
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  10. amazing selection of sunnies!!!
    love vintage sunglasses!!!
    visit my blog on http://laviecestchic.blogspot.com and my fb page on www.facebook.com/laviecestchic hope you like it!! kisses

    ReplyDelete
  11. The sunnies are awesome!

    inelegancewetrust.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what an amazing selection! :) nice blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wish I could carry off the cat eye sunglasses but it looks weird on me. Amazing selection though!

    backtofive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for dropping by my blog! I'm always on the hunt for cute, vintage-y cat-eye shades!

    acupofteashirt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're ever in the area, check them out. A little pricey (like good aged wine) but if it's what you're looking for, it's there!

      Delete
  15. Oh WOW! I need to wear prescription glasses and of course I went with vintage cat eye frames that ended up being rather expensive! I love them though - and this shop - I would totally go nuts in!
    Ahka Vintage SHOP
    Ahka Vintage BLOG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you love your glasses! Makes a difference because if you don't, you won't wear them! :P

      Delete
  16. So many amazing glasses! I love the cat eye model :)

    - Victoria
    www.Vickkitas.blogspot.se

    ReplyDelete
  17. SO many amazing pairs! The clear and floral ones are adorable...I may have to stop by this place.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So amazing sunglasses! I love sunglasses, I can´t get enough!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a crush on cateye glasses, I'm a vintage addicted!!!!
    http://myvintagecurves.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like an amazing store! I love sunglasses!

    www.styliststeph.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. We love the floral glasses!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like them all! I really want a pair of cat eye frames though xx

    ReplyDelete

Share some love! I wanna hear from you!