Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Glutton Tuesdays :: Com Tam (Broken Rice)

I'm sure you're all very aware of my love for food. Well, that's probably never going to change. Sometimes I wonder why I just didn't start a food blog only. But then, I think I would expose too much of what a real fatty I am. One food post a week (unless I'm on vacation) is probably a good moderator for me.

Anyway, this post is for the Vietnamese cuisine lovers. The friendboy and I love to go to Garden Grove/Westminster area because well, that's where the legit Vietnamese food is. Some of our favorite dishes include (but are not limited to) Pho (Rice Noodle Soup with flank steak in a beef broth), Banh Mi (French baguette sandwich filled with BBQ Pork - or at least mine is), Cha Gio (deep friend egg rolls), and Com Tam (Broken rice dishes served with various items).

Going to Westminster always feels a wee bit like we're no longer in SoCal. There is one specific area that is very concentrated in all kinds of Vietnamese foods and shops.







I would have never found this place on my own if it weren't for the friendboy who already knew about this place from before, through other friends. But like all other places in the area, it is what it is, a "hole-in-the-wall" restaurant.




Very small space. Not the best decor (not matching anyway). You're simply there to eat.




Vietnamese people also display their good luck charms. The cat in the middle is always mistaken as a Chinese charm but it's actually Japanese. Asian business owners often display these statues to welcome luck and fortune.




Everyone gets a bowl of soup with pork and green onions. I like to think this helps cleanse the palette ;) I'm totally making up my own 3 course meal (we only had two dishes -including this bowl of soup - anyway).




I had the broken rice plate with the charbroiled pork chop, egg quiche (orange dyed steamed egg with miced pork and vermicelli noodles), and pickled vegetables (in the blurred distance). It also comes served with Nuoc Mam which is essentially fish sauce with lemon juice, pickled vegetables, and various herbs and spices. I like to add chili sauce into it too. I love spicy! You're probably thinking, "Oh gross. Fish sauce?" But it's really good! I also thought the same thing but realized how well it went with everything!!

I know it's not for everyone... but I encourage you to get out of your comfort zones once in awhile and try something new.

Happy Tuesday!

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the comment. I hope you'll buy the bracelets for your broyfriend!
    I follow you on FB and Bloglovin .. if you want do the same! Thanks you
    www.guyoverboard.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the visit!! I've got you on my feed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natasha PicablocksJune 19, 2012 at 1:34 AM

    vietnamese foods have not actually been my thing. I guess it's because most of the vietnam cuisine here in town only have vege rolls and beef rice noodles. and i don't really like the spices in the vege rolls. they tasted so strong. but i never knew that they have egg rolls and BBQ beef too! Guess i missed out a lot. :)


    Natasha
    http://picablocks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreee with the stepping out of your comfort zone to try something new! :D


    backtofive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Photos of food looks so delicious they make me hungry!!! and yes, you're right its great to try something new! that's how we learn about life, aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure... what happened to my comment :(
    I was saying that photos of the food look the way to delicious and that I like trying new things... otherwise life would be boring!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm this looks all so delicious! I'm also a big lover of food!


    <3Chelsea Elizabeth

    http://www.organizedxxmess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hah! I totally understood what you were getting at. And I agree! Food makes life so much more entertaining and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes... I wasn't always adventurous but have learned to be over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah! Different dishes. There's also a tomato-based beef stew that I actually enjoy too, forgot to mention it.

    ReplyDelete

Share some love! I wanna hear from you!